<%@ Language= VBScript %> AAUI
Automobile Association of Upper India
|President|AA Board |International Relations & AIT President|Commendations|Online Membership|Search



Contact us

Membership Fees

AA Driving School

AA Products & Services

Road Safety


TV Serial



AA News

AA Club & Auto Cafe

Distinguished Visitors

Our Patron-in-chiefs

Tour & Travel


General Travel Information for Incoming International Travelers

Table of Contents:
Reciprocal Services for International Automobile Club Members Visiting the States
Locating a AAA or CAA Office
Global Show Your Card & Save Program
Booking Hotels & Hertz Rental Cars
International Driving Permit
Auto Insurance for International Travelers
Disabled Parking Permit Usage in the United States
Purchasing a Vehicle to Export
Additional International Travel Resources

Reciprocal Services for International Automobile Club Members Visiting the United States

There is no need for a member of an affiliated international automobile club to become a member of AAA during their visit to the United States or Canada. If you are going to be visiting for 90 days or less, you are entitled to reciprocal BASIC Emergency Road and Publication Services. These "reciprocal services" are provided through AAA's, CAA's and your home club's membership in, and an agreement with, the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) , which is our mutual international association of motor clubs.
With AAA and CAA, the membership cardholder is covered for emergency road service, not the car. These BASIC services consist of Emergency Road Service (if not in a rental car) for towing up to three miles, lock-out service, and battery service if you are in a club territory that offers the service for its own members. If driving a rental car, the rental car company is the first line of emergency road service. Please discuss the rental company's road service policy at time of rental. Also, recreation vehicles (RVs) and motorcycles are not covered by these BASIC reciprocal road services.
The phone number for AAA's Emergency Road Service is 1-800-AAA-HELP (1-800-222-4357) within the U.S. or Canada only. Your service call will be routed to the appropriate territory based on where the call is coming from where you are located. You must have your current home club membership card with you at all times in order to obtain reciprocal services from AAA or CAA.
Reciprocal publication services of maps , TourBook guides, and CampBook guides are also provided free of charge to all international automobile club members. These publications must be obtained from the AAA or CAA office closest to your entry, or current location, in the United States or Canada. AAA and CAA maps and TourBook guides will not be mailed. Individual TripTiks may be provided at the discretion of any AAA or CAA club, subject to staff availability.
When driving in the U.S or Canada, use AAA's TripTik Travel Planner to plan your own route by visiting the AAA website at www.aaamaps.com. When prompted to enter a zip code, type in 32746, which is the zip code for the AAA National Office. This will allow you to create a personalized TripTik to map your planned trips, and you can request the TripTik to show all lodgings, restaurants, attractions, and partners along the way.

Locating a AAA or CAA Office:

To locate a AAA or CAA office, please check the business section of the local phone directory or call 411 information and request the phone number for the AAA office closest to your location. If needed, please visit an AAA office for the services of a professional travel counselor, or to take advantage of the member discounted travel products available at auto travel stores located in most AAA offices.

Global Show Your Card & Save Program:
If your club is participating in the Global Show Your Card & Save (SYC&S) program, you will be entitled to discounts throughout the United States and Canada. If your club participates, your membership card will display either the SYC&S logo or the SyC! logo of ARC Europe. If your home club is a participant, your membership card is all you will need to obtain discounted benefits anywhere in the world. Follow this link to access the SYC&S databases to search for member discounts available in the U.S and Canada or worldwide.

Booking Hotels & Hertz Rental Cars:

Hotels and Hertz rental cars on the SYC&S program can be pre-booked by calling the AAA SYC&S International Booking phone line. Dial the U.S. calling code from your country and then dial 866-AAA-SAVE (866-222-7283). You will pay for the call until the call is answered; AAA pays for the call until the chosen hotel or HERTZ answers; and the partner pays for the call until it is completed. If a hotel is not listed as having a reservation outlet on this phone line, then they are not a SYC&S partner, and you cannot book a reservation with them at a SYC&S discount. If you choose a hotel that is not in the SYC&S program, you can always present your club's membership card upon arrival for consideration for reciprocal services available to affiliated club members, but there is no guarantee of a contractual agreement with AAA. Below are Web site addresses for AAA Preferred Partners:

  • www.bestwestern.com/aaa


International Driving Permit:
If you are planning to drive a rental or personal vehicle, you must obtain an IDP (International Driving Permit) before coming to the United States or Canada. IDPs are a recognized translation of the legal driver's license and at all times must be accompanied by your current, valid driver's license from your home country. The IDP is another proof of identification that is an inexpensive and easily obtained from either your home club or the local government agency responsible for issuing these documents. All holders of valid, current American or Canadian driver's licenses can visit any AAA office to obtain an IDP. Follow this link for more detailed information on obtaining an International Driving Permit.

Auto Insurance for International Travelers:

AAA does not offer auto insurance for international visitors. Here is contact information for a company that may offer that insurance:
Chartis (formerly AIU North America)
175 Water Street
New York, NY 10038
Phone +1-212-770-7000
Toll free +1-877-638-4244 (in U.S. only)

Disabled Parking Permit Usage in the United States:

AAA recommends that disabled drivers from other countries driving in the United States and Canada who need the use of designated parking spaces, should consider the following. These rules apply to all states in the United States, and provinces throughout Canada:

  • Travel with the same credentials normally displayed in your home country.

  • Travel with a letter from your physician stating the nature of your disability.

  • Display your permit by hanging it from the rearview mirror, or by placing it on the dashboard so that it can be seen through all windows of the vehicle (and the front and back). This international disabled symbol is a side view of a wheelchair.

  • If you need additional details, contact the nearest State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or the Department of Transportation (DOT), listed in the middle "government offices" section of any phone book, or call the local police department, concerning a temporary use parking permit once you have arrived in the United States.

The Department of Transportation (DOT) issued a final ruling that provides guidelines to all states for the establishment of a uniform parking system for drivers with disabilities that limit or impair the ability to walk. The guidelines include minimum requirements to be incorporated into all state systems. Under the DOT guidelines, placards must be hung from the windshield rearview mirror (or placed on the dashboard) so they can be viewed from the front and rear of a car, helping law enforcement personnel to easily recognize whether a vehicle is legally parked.

Purchasing a Vehicle to Export:

Follow this link to find information pertaining to the purchase of vehicles in the United States. The United States Federal Government is responsible for any legal documentation for the purchase, registry or insurance of a vehicle by a non-US citizen in the United States. You can find specific information/requirements at the following websites: http://www.dmv.org/; http://www.dot.org/; or http://www.nhtsa.gov/.

Additional International Travel Resources:
International and Inter-American Driving Permit (IDP and IADP)
Carnet de Passages en Douane
Purchasing a Vehicle to Export
Camping Cards International
Passport information and guidelines

If you need additional information, please contact AAA International Relations.
If you are a AAA or CAA member.